Tuesday, February 7, 2017
Though Crazy Ivan came relatively easy to me, I have had somewhat of a struggle actually picturing those void pirates - or perhaps not the picturing, but how to actually turn that into miniatures. Not that easy to make the minis flashy and flamboyant and at the same time time keep them gritty and darkcore - which is still the way I want to go. But having thought it over during the weekend, I have come to the conclusion that they don't all have to be flashy - captain will of cause, but for the rest I'll try to focus on that they are actually pirates. A ramshackle horde of misfits, hardcore (though extremely romanticised) criminals - feared for their ferocity and their failing respect for human/xenos life. Thus the minis will reflect this side of things, hopefully showing some badass characters you'd make sure to hide from and you shouldn't be in doubt why they ended up pirates. I focus less on making them look like Caribbean pirates but still try to incorporate little reference bits and pieces - and hopefully draw them all to gether with the paintjob.
Next up is this bloke - not named yet - I wanted something brutal with a big gun for my hullbreaching team.
Thursday, February 2, 2017
Wednesday, February 1, 2017
Tuesday, January 31, 2017
Saturday, January 28, 2017
Friday, January 27, 2017
Think I got my terrain prototype down. I only forgot that I wanted to add a few bits of dead grass and mold on the base and building. At first that would not be really appropriate for an Industrial Gothic sector, but as I constantly see how grasses are taking over as soon as buildings or areas are left unused, I think it will fit in and look good too.
Wednesday, January 25, 2017
Tuesday, January 24, 2017
Monday, January 23, 2017
After the warping incident I set out to test a few, clearly more succesful, ways of basing terrain.
Since I only had foamboard, I decided to try out, what seemed to a general consensus of several pieces of advice I received, and simply paint both sides of the board. Only had 3 mm left, but I figured tat would be the ultimate test then. So before anything else I painted the foamboard with just a thing layer of a cheap artshop black acrylic paint.
By suggestion I had gotten some foamex - or foamalux, as it was called at my local signmaker's. Quite easy to cut, and not bendy once it's cut down to small bits like this one.
Both then had a bit of details added, and then a mix of filler, black paint and various sized of gravel.
They have now dried over night and look mom - NO WARPING!!!
Sunday, January 22, 2017
Just before the game the other night I had a bit of time to finish off the storage tank for my manufactorum. After it was painted to look dirty I gave the velding lines a brownish wash added some dark brown spots and painted metal bits rusted. Then using a Vallejo rust wash added stripes of rust running down the sides, emphasized the brown spots and underside of the velding lines. The I added some vallejo liquid mask and painted the omega logo in that area. After the red paint was dry I carefully removed the mask with a finger and it yielded a pretty cool chipped appearance.